Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Your Story Will Heal You

I used to watch a show every day called “Starting Over”. There were two “Life Coaches” on the show, one named Iyanla. One thing she would tell every woman she worked one-on-one with was, “Your story will heal you.” She often had the ladies write down their life story and read it aloud to her. As they read, she would challenge their versions of history, pointing out misconceptions, assumptions, and point out road blocks to growth. Through this process I would see great change in their attitudes and overall beings. Particularly when we are children we have such a skewed perception of reality – I think it can help anyone to re-evaluate the circumstances of their lives and most people I believe would walk away with a new understanding of at least one event or person, etc.

Already as I talk to family members about writing this book about my life, they are offering new information that is changing how I feel about them as people. I would even say that they are becoming “people” more and more to me, and not just “my mom” or “my dad” or “my aunt” or “my uncle”.

I look forward to reconnecting with family members, and I’m excited that this project is encouraging exactly that.

No comments: