Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Good Man

(continued from "Numbers")

His first degree was in engineering. This is an important thing to know about him, because I believe it is what makes him more than a doctor. He is an inventor, a problem solver, a man who can inspire hope in people who have been told that all is lost; the definition of an "out-of-the-box" thinker; a warrior; a good man.

Dr. Richard Fox. We had never heard of him, but as I said before we trusted Dr. Fountain and Dr. Fountain had recommended we meet this Pediatric Pulmonologist. He impressed us during our first visit. After viewing my chest x-rays and my files, Dr. Fox gave us startling news – I did not have asthma. My previous pulmonologist had diagnosed me with asthma, and due to this diagnosis I was performing daily breathing exercises, taking some sort of pill, and puffing away on inhalers. The reality, which he shared with us, was that all of my asthma-like symptoms were a result of my spine literally crushing my lungs. We had been wasting energy, money and, most upsettingly, time. I was confused. My dad was angry. I’m not sure what my mom was feeling.

A spinal reconstruction was overdue and, because of that, the risks were increased. I was told that I could become paralyzed or even die. There was also a chance that, due to my breathing issues, I could need a tracheotomy.

I think my brain shut down. These potential consequences seemed imaginary to me. The surgery sounded imaginary. It was all too surreal. Looking back I have a jumble of memories. Time moves forwards and backwards without warning. For that reason I apologize if the next stories I tell (preceding my surgery) are out of order.

I do know it was around this time that my mom and dad’s fears took form in the question, “Alicia, is there anywhere in the United States that you would like to go?” My dad worked, and still works for United Airlines and in those pre-9/11 days we could fly for free. I had no answer for them. The reality of what they were really asking was too much for me. “Alicia, where do you want to go before you die?”

They suggested Disney World.

But we wouldn’t end up traveling anywhere. There simply wasn’t time.

(to be continued)

Articles about Dr. Fox
http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/01.19.00/hospital-0003.html
http://www.svcn.com/archives/lgwt/20020821/lgnews1.shtml
My Favorite one
http://www.thewavemag.com/printarticle.php?articleid=25311

No comments: